Beans in Stew (Habichuelas Guisadas)

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

When my husband and I got engaged, my mother in-law invited me into her kitchen and taught me a few things about Spanish cooking. To this day, I cannot make arroz con pollo for the life of me and have not mastered making white rice. If you don't have time to make white rice or have issues like I do, purchase a rice cooker (it's my new best friend) or stop by your local Chinese restaurant and pick up a quart of rice.

Anyway, this is a great side dish to go along with chicken, steak or even pork chops.
Beans in Stew (Habichuelas Guisadas)

1 tbsp. oil - either Canola or Olive Oil
2 tbsp. Sofrito
1 envelope Sazon Goya
1 envelope/cube chicken bouillion
4 oz Goya Tomato Sauce
1 medium potato - peeled and chopped into small cubes
1 15.5 oz. can small red kidney beans - drained and rinsed
1 cup water
2 cups cooked white rice


On low heat in a medium pot, heat oil and sofrito. Add Sazon Goya and chicken bouillon - cook for about 2 minutes. Add tomato sauce and potato cubes and simmer for 2 minutes. Add beans and simmer for about 5 minutes. Raise heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover pot. Cook for about 10-15 minutes. If sauce is loose, uncover pot and cook for additional 5 minutes.
Serve over white rice.


Enjoy!

Print this post

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lydia where is the "Irish Soda Bread" recipe? It's my fave. I'm not a huge soda bread fan but this is the best ever!

Also, I'm trying very hard not to mention the cheeeesecake brownies but I HEAR they are fabulous too.

Nice blog. Terri

Maria says she HEARS they are good too.